Sunday, February 1, 2009

Days 14-17: Budapest, Salzburg

So I am now over 2 weeks into this trip.  I left Graz on the 30th and got into Budapest that evening.  Stayed at the Keleti Hostel.  Great place, really nice owner named Joseph.  Unfortunately, i was unaware that they do not use the Euro in Hungary, and all the change places had closed for the evening, so I survived on my train snacks (Werther's Caramels, Hit, and Water) that evening.  In the morning I met 2 Australians who had just come in from Istanbul that morning, then went to get some Hungarian Fornits.  Took a subway into the castle district.  The train and subway ticketing procedure is much more strict over there.  Anyway, i walked around for a few hours.  Saw some churches, most were locked up for some reason, but the outsides were very cool.  Saw the Buda Castle which is absolutely massive, and the Parliment building, also huge.  I appreciate seeing buildings that are centuries older than my country.  I'm doing a lot more journal writing, and i will try to do more blogging, but it's a little difficult to find the internet sometimes.  Anyway, I hung out with the Australians, Steve and Emma, last night.  We played the card game of monopoly (nothing like the board game), she made pasta, I gave them my extra Hungarian Fornits becuse they would be there another 2 or 3 days, and we talked about folk music and third world countries (they were in Cairo before Istanbul).  They saved up for a year and sold 75% of their worldly possessions to take this trip.  They were col backpacking people and pretty chill.  Steve plays the guitar and he's pretty good, been playing for 15 years.  But this morning, I headed out at around 11 on a train to Vienna to catch a connection to Prague.  Missed it.  It was the only one for the rest of the day, so i came to Salzburg on a whim, found a hostel, got some dinner, and here I am.  Found out what trains to take to get to Prague, booked a hostel, and found out how to get there.  I'm getting the hang of this 'world traveler' bit.  Anyway, news on Kebap: Worst so far- Some grill in Budapest.  Best so far- Still Umut in Zwingenberg.  Check out my pictures on facebook.  Stay tuned for adventures in Prague, Berlin, and Isserlohn.  Song of the Day: Joe's Head by The Kings of Leon.
     -Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment